Monday, November 23, 2009

Akai LPD8 and BFD

Just made a couple of purchases today, and looking forward to them arriving.

The first one was the BFD drum library. I've used the lite version that comes with ProTools, and it's an incredibly responsive drum module that is perfect for the times when you need natural sounding drums rather than the more electronic drum machine style that you get out of Redrum or something.

The second one was a pad controller. I tossed up between the Akai LPD8 and the Korg Nanopad. I've realised that one thing the APC40 just can't do is play drums. This is unfortunate, as while I can get by without velocity sensitivity, the latency when using it as drum pads just completely rule it out. I've tried all sorts of tricks - even shortening USB cables, putting it on its own buss etc, and it just won't cut it. So I wanted to get a very small set of drum pads that won't take up too much room on my desk. While I really like the Akai MP series of pad machines, they are really just too big for what I'm looking for. This should hopefully fit right in front of the APC40, and give me some live drumming ability.

What really helped me make my decision was the following review, this might be useful too if you're in the market for something similar.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/10/27/korg-nano-pad-vs-akai-lpd8/

I have a new remix under construction, but I think I'll wait until the new gear arrives and then put up another video!

1 comment:

  1. It's too bad the APC40 doesn't have bigger velocity-sensitive pads. It would be nice to be able to use it for drums. I haven't noticed latency myself but I haven't really tried it for that purpose.

    Akai is famous for their drum pads so it's a good way too go. I don't know about the NanoPad but I prefer the Kork PadKONTROL myself. The pads are way more sensitive, plus it's got that cool x-y pad and stylish look to it. I had an Akai MPD24 for a while. Although it was built like a tank, the pads were not too sensitive. In the micro pad realm the Akai controller might be the better way to go though.

    ReplyDelete